It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Liberating an M18 Claymore Mine (MON-50 Conversion)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:21 pm 
DOSAAF

As hinted at in another thread, I was working on a modification of an existing armory item. This item is the US M18 claymore Anti Personnel Mine (APERS). The M18 is Command Detonated via two pair wire and a piezoelectric "clacker" detonator. The mine can also be configured for trip-wire detonation, useful for perimeter defense.

The Real Deal Claymore is a brick of C4 with a ton of pellets laid out in front of it. Upon detonation, the pellets are projected at lethal velocities, which can kill within 100 meters, and wound as far out as 250 meters.

Rumor has it, Soviet Advisors to the North Vietnamese had obtained samples of the M18 Claymore for study, and potential duplication, pending any necessary improvements.

The Improved Soviet Version of the M18 Claymore APERS mine, is the Минное Осколочным Направлением 50, (МОН-50) "MON-50" Mine. The improvement comes in simplified case design (spraypainted "To The Enemy" lettering instead of molded in to the plastic) and a concave front reducing how high the projectiles go. Studies show that the American M18 would send shrapnel way too high within the kill radius. The curved front keeps most of those projectiles down, within a useful height to possibly cause additional casualties.

The Soviet/Russian MON-50:

If you look in this Scout's gear, you can see one ready to be packed into a ruck (scroll right, above the radio, left of the AT Launcher):

I have a feeling this post is going to be like all the others where I just type a lot. So instead, I'll just shut up and post the pics! ;D

Before:

Chortle Brand M18 Claymore Trip Wire/Wireless Mine:

File down as much of the text as possible. Use a rough grade sandpaper to get rid of most of it, and gradually decrease to a finer grit to really start to smooth it out. If I could go back in time, I would have spent more time sanding then painting!

Get it as smooth as possible:

Kind of an overview shot. I did 2 things: 1. Rinse off the entire thing and make sure it is very dry. You don't want any crap in the paint, and you don't want any water on the surfaces you're going to paint either.

Tape off everything you don't want painted. The foam backer and electrical wires, along with the activation mechanism come to mind. Everything else was physically removed from inside the mine, like the springs and metal backer for the front cover.

Start hosing everything in paint! The front panel took several coats over several days to really get it smooth. Even now, it's not perfect, but it looks great within detonation distance!

Tape Removed. Not too bad!

After the front's special treatment, I made the stencil "К ПРОТИВНИКУ" (Pronounced "K PROTIVNIKU") which literally translates to "To The Enemy" indicating which side faces "to the enemy". (pardon the flash!)

Different lights really make this green (Krylon's Semi-Gloss Grass Green for Plastics) look several different shades.

Reassemble!

Even taped off the "on" light, which I think I did a good job on!

And to end where I started (and show off how bad it looks under fluorescent lighting!

http://www.operationeastwind.com
"Not because it is easy..."
Like & Follow Op:EW on Facebook

Post subject: Re: Liberating an M18 Claymore Mine (MON-50 Conversion)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
Praporshik

Great stuff!

This is what I love about the fringe type of hobbyists. The customization and modifications to bring stuff into reality!

The most important question is:
Does it work?

You didn't really do anything to assure its functionality. Though, I am a fan of cool bra-stuffers, I am not a fan of airsoft claymores because they are 99% unreliable garbage. The only decent one was the gas powered one, and I'm going on hearsay. My experience with a couple of claymore brands have all proved to be difficult and unreliable to use. By trip wire and by remote.

My other question is, could you elaborate more on the differences between the MON-50 and the claymore? I am not sure where the modifications are that make it blast lower.

Any chance you're going to add the trip fuse and remote fuse parts like in the picture of the real one you posted?

I guess this is the one was used at the last Liberty Canyon. Damn red light was such a distraction. I couldn't understand what it was, so I just shot at it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm 
DOSAAF

Yes it works. The ACM/Chortle clone of other designs improves on the fact that the "Front toward enemy" panel is thicker and less prone to breaking like the other ones. I have heard the gas one is pretty epic, both for the launch of bb's, and the ****-yourself noise it makes.

If you look at a real M18 Claymore (the US one) it is simply curved to fan projectiles out in an arc in front of the device.

If you look at a real MON-50, not only is it curved side to side, but it's curved top to bottom, like a pringles chip. This curve helps direct the blast down, or straight out from in front of the device. It is said that at 50 meters out (the max effective range of both mines), the US model has more projectiles hitting above 7 feet in height, on a device aimed parallel to the ground. The curve in the Soviet/Russian model keeps more bits of shrapnel below 7 feet, more likely to hit a target and cause more casualties.

This airsoft version is the same model we used at East Wind around the Airfield. Tascabe liked my mod so much, he's going to mail me the full East Bloc collection of M18's so I can convert them. Both mines detonated when used against British Troops. We're not sure if they caused any kills. My replica conversion does not add this top to bottom curve, as that would effect functionality of the device. My sole intent was to get the color and writing more correct, compared to photos I've seen online.

I've set this one up several times, and it's more of a "oh ****, don't walk that way" distraction, than it is intended to actually get kills.

I won't be adding anything additional to it like the fuses, mostly because they'd probably break off, and would involve me learning fancy things like drills and saws.

The red light is a bit of a downfall on these devices, but, spotting one through your night vision scope will have you waste ammo or at least take your time crossing that road/field/ravine, etc. The distraction several of these causes is almost as effective as scoring a kill with one.

From what I've seen, most airsoft claymores throw some 80% of their BB load straight forward of the device. The MON-50 has some 56 degree spread, and the M18 is advertised at 180 degree, but I'm willing to bet it's closer to the Soviet's 50 degree.

Tascabe said he's got 3-4 working ones, and 3-4 damaged ones I could try and fix coming my way, all for conversion!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:01 am 
Praporshik

My mind's eye just doesn't see what you're talking about. Any chance of a side-by-side comparison? Maybe even with highlight and even arrows!?

I think those fuses are screwed in after its set up.

The short comings of these replicas is that their clam-shell design. Lower obstructions will prevent it from properly deploying. And of course you can't tape one to a tree. But even in the ground, those legs are complete crap. And loading them is a pain. Not all of them have that hole in the front to pour BBs through. That rat-trap trampoline has to be folded in a special way to avoid snagging the fabric, otherwise it wont deploy properly. Mods to the bottom of the door part and to the trampoline and legs would be welcome functional mods.

I was holding 2 really nice replicas. No hole in the front, with clackers. But setting them off proved lots of hard work. DRK has like 6 or maybe even 12. And they all seemed problematic when we were experimenting with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 am 
DOSAAF

Hah, I'll get a side by side done tonight.

This may help, or make it more confusing:

Here's an M18 claymore:

Note the sides of the mine. They go straight up and down. The only curve the mine has is the side to side curve, which directs the shrapnel outward in that direction.

Here's a MON-50:

Look at the left and right sides of the mine. It's curved from top to bottom, instead of straight, like an M18 Claymore. This curve keeps the shrapnel from going so high, which potentially means more bits of shrapnel are within the kill zone, instead of flying over the target's head.

Yes, on both real deal versions, fuses (either the electric clacker detonator, or the pull pin type fuses) are screwed in to one of the two fuze wells on the device. They can even be daisy chained together so one clacker can detonate several claymore mines at once.

Agreed on the obstructions. The set up position must be clear in the front of the device. The legs work, but are otherwise poor copies of the real deal. The key is to stick the mine into the ground and make small adjustments to properly aim it.

I've never had to fold the trampoline in any weird ways. Using a speed loader, the more BB's I put in the device, the more the fabric conforms to the wall of bb's.

It sounds like you're using some kind of weird ghetto version, lol.

The Soviet version has a special clamp that screws in to the bottom of the mine, that lets you either stake it to a tree, or clamp it around small objects like fence posts. It's adjustable so you can clamp the mine in place, and then pivot and rotate it to aim where you want it. The East Wind guys have a few ideas I'm going to test out, that would replicate this clamp.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 pm 
DOSAAF

Tascabe sent me 3 more SuperCellDev M18 Claymores back in September. I have just finished them as of today. I thought I'd share, as my technique was a little more refined this time!

I have taken these photos over the last few months, starting back in September when Tascabe shipped me the working inventory of M18 Claymores belonging to the East Bloc. Back then, and still today, I looked forward to working on these, really getting to contribute to improving everyone's experience at East Wind. I might not own an East Bloc vehicle, or have access to lots of cool toys, or be able to get to a training event, so I figured a project like this would very much allow me to contribute as best as I can.

Here goes!

The new mines, layed out for all to see, plus a few tools needed to get the job done:

Beginning disassembly, removing two screws from the mines and they practically come apart on their own. One of the mines was missing a screw, so I shall attempt to thread gauge and match appropriately on my next McMaster-Carr order.

Disassembled and taped off to keep bits of plastic and paint from getting into the inner workings of the mines. The release latch and RCA plug are taped off. Before painting, I also tape off the hinge.

Work in progress. Instead of using a rough grade sandpaper, then a smooth grade sandpaper, I opt to dremel the letters off. This works, for the most part, but requires patience and a steady hand, or else a divot will be made, and that will require additional repairs before painting.

One set of cleaned up front and rear pieces:

I believe I was noting the proper parts and screw placement with this photo. Or how dirty the thing is!

More screw placement. Apparently, all of the washers are on the outside of the device. I would have figured they went between all of the components... like how I re-assembled them this afternoon... looks like I'll have to take 'em apart when I get the screw measurement, in order to properly put them back together.

After dremeling, comes sanding. Sanding smooths the rough gouges left by the dremel. Due to the width of the dremel tool, removing the letters takes effort, as you cant get the drum head to lay flat on the curved face of the mine. This is especially true when working on the rear side, which I did not have to do for the prototype, as it had no markings. The face plate on the left has not been sanded. The one on the right has.

Rear panels, before and after sanding.

After sanding, comes epoxy. On the prototype, I simply kept layering up paint to smooth the mine out. This lead to a single can of spraypaint being used on a single mine. Not very efficient or cost effective, given that a can is supposed to evenly coat 25 square feet. I spread the epoxy thin in an effort to fill in the divots made by the dremel and sanding, and to get the surface as flat as possible, in preparation for painting.

Epoxied back plates. The more I do, the more I get the hang of it. "Less is more" very much applies to epoxy.

All 6 pieces epoxied.

After epoxying comes sanding. The epoxy too needs to be flattened to the original curve of the mine. I used a combination of rough and smooth sand paper, and needle files to hit the details.

Before (left) and after (right) sanding down of the epoxy. The right mine has also been cleaned under running water to remove any last bits of debris from all the sanding:

All 6 pieces sanded down as smooth as I feel possible. The hinges have also been taped in preparation for painting.

Painting in progress. I have two of these amazon.com boxes that are perfect for 3 pieces each. It keeps the neighbors from being nosy, and keeps me from making my patio green, which the wife greatly appreciates.

Back pieces also being painted. Note that painting was done over the course of several weekends, given the availability of sunlight, my personal schedule, and the weather. This has been a work in progress since September. Had I a wife who didn't mind the smell of Krylon, I would simply do this in my basement, with the windows open and a fan blowing for ventilation.

All 6 pieces painted. The middle two are reversed to show the inside. I also sprayed the front stencils. The rear stencils are a work in progress, but I wanted to get this project off of my "50% done" list and into my "90% done" list. The Stencils have been made and sent to Kitty for printing and cutting, and pics will be taken as appropriate. Like the MON-50 pictures I've seen, there is some overspray. In fact, one of the mines, the K looks more like an "ж", and will need some touching up.

Same shot, less flash. It's really difficult to pin down the exact color of these guys. Between real light, artificial light, fluorescent light, and camera flash, they all produce a different shade of Krylon Grass Green.

Two assembled MON-50's. Before conversion, they were SuperCellDev M18's... the one's that started it all. My prototype was a Chortle/ACM mine with built in wireless detonator.

All 3 of Tascabe's mines. A future project will involve epoxying aluminum flashing to the back of the front plate, to make it more durable.

The current family. The top mine is the Chortle wireless mine. The other three are SuperCellDev claymores.

A partly packed MON-50 satchel. The SuperCellDev ones fit snugly. I cannot get my Chortle mine to fit. The spikes on the SCD mines snag, but with care, can be placed back into the bag. Extra fun with all the safety pins that Tascabe did NOT send me... :-)

Peaking out. There is room for the detonators in the accessory slots. For Airsoft's Sake, I could see one slot having the 25ft detonator cable and detonator button, and another slot having a 120rd BB speed loader, pre-filled, so one simply opens the bag, pulls out the mine, feeds BB's into it, sets it up, wires it up, and removes the safety pin. The spent BB speed loader and safety pin are returned to the satchel for later use/reloading by Supply. In theory, the mines can even be pre-charged with BB's if the supply sergeant deems it necessary.

EDIT: Forgot this one, all artsy fartsy:

And there you have it. The East Bloc's inventory of MON-50 APERS mines is up to 4. NATO Beware! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:41 pm 
Ryadovoi

YOU ARE A................
BEAST!
Great job!

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm