It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:53 am
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Kalash/Dboys loose selector plate
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 am 
Praporshik

Pasha has asked me a couple of months ago about tightening up the selector plate on his Kalash/Dboys AKS74. The basic advice is always, take a pair of pliers and just tighten the selector screw. Which he already did to no effect. I gave him some other suggestions, but last month I came up with the actual solution.

On Halloween Sasha dropped off his Echo1 AK74M with me. Those how don't know, the Echo1 is a rebranded Kalash/Dboys. He dropped it off with me, so that I could get it to Brayski, who would relube his GB for him. Brayski has no room for additional guns in his room, so I took out Sasha's GB and brought it Brayski. About 3 weeks later I got it back from him and reassembled Sasha's AK. Inspecting my work, I noticed the selector was as loose as Pasha's. After trying out multiple solutions, I used the following.

When removing the selector screw, between it and the selector is a brass cylinder that it goes through. I took out the cylinder and I filed it down just a bit. Then reassembled it, and now Sasha says his selector is even better than it was before he dropped it off with me.

The problem was that when I was reassembling it, the cylinder wasn't sitting deep enough. The difference of a single mm or even less was preventing the selector screw from going down low enough to give the selector the extra bit of tightness it needed.

The actual selector seems to have been cloned from an earlier version of the VFC construction, because my VFC AKS74 selector is actually assembled differently, and I never had this looseness in my selector.

Post subject: Re: Kalash/Dboys loose selector plate
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
Discharged

I was talking to Schultz yesterday and he said this.
"one way to cure the problem is to bend the selector screw cap ever so slightly, and It will make a tighter fit." I have not personally tried it, but i figured, I would give you all that information.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm 
Praporshik

I'm not a fan of bending a cap to any screws. The thing was that the screw was in as far as it was able to go. And the thing keeping it going from any further was the length of the cylinder. And you don't know the quality of the metal on a Kalash, which can range from decent to crap and you wouldn't know until it breaks on you.

After I did Sasha's selector set up, he said it was even better than before he gave it to me. So I'm going to stick by my cylinder filing solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm 
Ryadovoi

I did the bending, like sergei said I did it VERY slightly and nows its very nice. I saw about how another company did that with their ak's selector plates to make it nice and crisp

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:53 am