It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Double stacked magazines?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:58 pm 
DOSAAF

Is double stacked magazines worth it? If so what way (tape, or double stack magazine clips, etc.)? Also does it matter how you tape them together?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about this is what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:33 pm 
Retired

It's better just to tape them together evenly instead of stacked like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:23 am 
Praporshik

That is not "double stacked magazines"
Double stacked magazines refers to how the bullets, in our case BBs, stack up inside the magazine.

In a row is a single stack. Checkerboard pattern is double stacked. There are a couple of magazines that are quadruple stacked.

And these are magazines, not clips. Clips were used by rifles like the M1 Garand. A metal piece that held exposed bullets. Its what made that metal pint type sound when the last bullet in a Garand was fired.

Now to answer the actual question. Unfortunately the answer is 'it depends.' It is something that is seen in common practice with Russian forces. And the G36 and Sig550 series are designed out of the factory to be bound together. There is an advantage in reloading between the two bound mags. Its quicker than getting a new mag from your vest and replacing the spent mag. But that advantage is lost when you are done with both those mags.

You are making your magazines longer and wider when you bind them. But your hands aren't getting any bigger. And neither are the pouches for them on your kit. They can become cumbersome to handle in a fire fight. But if you have big hands, and/or, you do a lot of practice it might not be an issue for you at all.

I used to have my mags bound together. But I undid that because I found myself fumbling with them under fire. Russian has his mags bound. He doesn't seem to have problems with them that way.

There are different ways of taping them together. I have seen some really outlandish variations across the 3rd world. But the most common Russian one is when one is facing up and the other down, matching curves, so they form a C not an S shape. Just simply taped up in that position with just enough room at the ends for the mags to fit into the magwells. I forget why, but I had all of mine where the one facing down was on the right side of the gun. I think it had something to do with the folding stock.

Another problem with this set up is that if you go prone, you might be digging the down facing mag into the the dirt. Which could cause jamming in the mag. And when prone you are already forced to have a taller silhouette because the way 1 AK mag sticks out. Having 2 will make you stick up higher.

There are other ways. Sergei has a couple of videos about this.

One of which is a way that one of the ladies of UCOnn suggested to me. Create a spacer between the mags so that they both face up. Reducing the time by eliminating the need to flip the mag, and making it more like the G36/Sig550 style mags. This is a bad way to do it for a couple of reasons. Making them wider makes it even more uncomfortable getting them in and out of your pouches. If the spacers warp in shape they fail in creating the necessary space between the mags. Giving play between the mags and I don't want my mags to have any wiggle room. I don't want to risk them falling apart or problems during reloading.

It really depends on your comfort levels and your play styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 am 
DOSAAF

^ more importantly roman. what pouches you have. the new molle stuff doesnt have channels in their pouches much like these russian vests. u can fit a taped together mag in those big triple//double ak/m4 pouches that snap shut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:34 pm 
Praporshik

Like I said, your hands and your pouches don't increase in side. So you need to make sure that when you bind your mags that they still fit in your pouch.

And DRK brings up the point that not all pouches are the same. Some pouches have dividers in them. Some dividers are adjustable. Dividers in my Multicam MOLLE AK pouches can be pushed aside. Just like in my 6Sh92. But the MC MOLLE one is super tight with 2 mags regularly.

The old school Russian pouches that are issued to soldiers with their rifles have dividers that are not movable.

My old school Bulgarian pouch only has one divider in it so it can hold 2 sets of bound mags, but very tightly.

But your can be modified if you really need to. But your hands can't. AK mags are not small. Doubling them up does make them more cumbersome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 pm 
Discharged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYUy6aTk7A
watch this.
also dont worry about the pouches. My 6sh92 has dividers, and i can still tape them togather.
Hope my video helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm 
DOSAAF

You could always cut out those dividers too :grin:

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:59 pm