It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Making a Radio Pouch (for Crossdraw vest)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 am 
Praporshik

The previous day I began to work on another radio pouch. As I was getting ready for the Sunday skirmish that ended up not happening I had attached my Flora radio pouch to the back of my Crossdraw vest (I wasn't sporting a Russian kit for that day). The built in Radio pouch on the Crossdraw was awfully small. The back of that vest has loops for what I thought was specific for ALICE clips. Later I realized that it has inside loops (as in hooks + loops = Velcro). And my Flora would have been a bit out of place. So, since I wasn't playing on Sunday, I started on another radio pouch project.

This time I had some free space on my phone, so I snapped some pictures of my project:
As usual, I am working with spare parts. The parts in question here are the small pistol mags that go on the belt of the Crossdraw vest. I had separated them into all their individual components. What you see above are the velcro'd straps that held the pouches onto the belt. 3 pieces are combined into 1 long piece that will fold into itself. And extra strip of hooks was added to the side of this that will be going through the vest to lock in with the loops inside, and the rest to close this fastener into itself. As seen below:
The advantages here are that the pouch will not move around as it would with just an ALICE clip holding it in place. Also that I don't have to procure any additional ALICE clips!

What you see here is the layout of the different components of this pouch. Unlike my first radio pouch in which the body was just a single piece of fabric closed in on itself, this one has multiple parts to it. These parts will give it a more solid state. It has 4 walls and 1 spine. The spine acts as the bottom of the pouch. Because it leaves open space, it creates drainage with out installing a drainage hole (which I was upset I couldn't do on my first pouch). The spine runs up the back of the pouch to provide extra rigidity and reinforcement where it will attach to the already made fastener.

Bellow are some pictures of what it will look like whine it finishes taking shape:

And this is what it will look like when attached to the back of my Crossdraw.

1) I didn't finish the pouch
1.a) I was just so tired of working on it most of the day, I just needed a mental break, and a break from pricking myself
1.b) This is a freaking hard project. Double and sometimes triple stitching through thick parts is time consuming and frustrating work. One of my needles broke. And thread would keep ripping.
1.c) I don't know what type of closing device I will install on this pouch. I need to figure that out.
2) I'm not sure what radio I will use in this. The way this pouch is turning out, its pretty spacious, so it might fit
this. If I don't get the dummy/shell radio I'll have to make the pouch smaller.

This is what it will look like when I have the pouch attached to my Crossdraw. If I get that dummy/shell radio I might need to wear it lower to stuff the antenna into the rest of the loops on the back.

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm