It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 am
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Labeling your kit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:26 am 
Praporshik

Since we must label our kit for East Wind, I've taken this seriously.
Though, we've already had instance of "is this my hat or your hat?" "Who's canteen is this?"
So its good to do either way.

Real kit is labeled in a couple of ways.
Uniforms have names written in bleach on the inside pockets. This was explained to us by someone that served that we met down at the War Time Museum.
Stuff like pouches (all of them) and rucks have been labeled with a small piece of wood. About double the width of a ice scream stick and 1/3 the length. Later, small rectangles of nylon or ruberized fabric. I went to a fabric store and bought some nylon fabric, in a color close to the samples I have which came with my RD54s. On it is written the last name followed by the initials of the First and Middle names. Some include rank, some included their unit. I'll be cutting them into the same size as my samples, and including on them my Name and initials, with my serial. It will go on my vesh-meshok, shovel pouch, canteen pouch, mag pouch, and perhaps my KLMK.

Some mags have 3 digit serials painted on. In various sizes and in various directions. I went with a stencil and marker. I also did the same thing to the top and bottom of my katelok and to my canteens.

Rifles have papers taped to the front furniture of their AKS74s.

For East Wind they had us pick 3 digit serials to label all of our gear.
Including our body armor, something I really didn't want to paint.
What I did with the body armor was use chalk meant for garment making. It wont just rub off, but it can be washed out. So if I ever decide to sell it, or if I want it to look pristine for a museum display, I can wash off the serial.
I will probably use the chalk for my hats (inside) and uniforms (inside).

There is just SO much kit, I don't know if I can label it all.

Not all of us are blessed with a MissKitty of our own.

Post subject: Re: Labeling your kit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 am 
DOSAAF

HAH! Very true, she was a huge help in labeling my gear!

Elmer's makes an acrillic Paint Pen that works great on plastics and can be had from Wal-Mart for 3-4 bucks. It's already rubbed off of my canteens after a day of use. I'm considering using a black sharpie marker. The same pen actually works great on fabrics. It held up very well on my magazines. The only thing that was a problem was the canteens.

I actually wrote my number on the top right of the handguard (of the AKS74) using the paint pen.

I found a font that was damn close to the stencils provided on the EW site, so I got to make my own templates up to any size.

The numbers in this font are what I use: http://www.dafont.com/soviet.font

I'd like to borrow that chalk of yours, for my armor, as it is in horrible condition, and I really would like to sell it after I buy a new one (sometime before EW-V).

I totally forgot about little things like hats and gloves. I shall have to take the paint pen to them tonight!

http://www.operationeastwind.com
"Not because it is easy..."
Like & Follow Op:EW on Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 am 
Praporshik

That font makes me want to :vomit:

I have more than enough of that fabric for myself. IF you wanted to do some last minute sewing. Maybe while I drive. Driving and sewing, good skill challenge. +5 experience points! Did that at least once.

I don't know if I'm going to be labeling my gloves. The 5 finger ones I might sew labels to them. Not sure if I'm even going to bring my 3 finger ones.

I got the chalk and the fabric for $4 I think. The chalk I think is actually shapped soap. And hell yeah you can have one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm 
DOSAAF

Oh yeah, the font is totally gross, but the numbers are accurate enough.

Van is going to the dealer for some mild service today, mostly to replace a cracked driver side mirror (if the part is in stock) if not, I'm going to have them do a bunch of preventative maintenance to ensure the trip goes smooth!

The 3 finger gloves are so clumsy to work with, but damn they are warm!

I havn't tried any of the fabric sewing. Then again, most of my uniforms I havn't labeled the pockets either. I'm hoping to be smaller one day, and get smaller uniforms, lol.

http://www.operationeastwind.com
"Not because it is easy..."
Like & Follow Op:EW on Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:49 am 
Praporshik

A couple of years ago, before my 2nd East Wind, I had relabled my 80s kit with 80s appropriate wooden labels/tags. I thought that I had posted it up here. I guess not, since I can't find it in the DIY section, and particularly absent from this thread. At that time Skar had some thin wood from a box top from some chocolates, if I recall correctly. I found another readily available source for wooden labels.
If you buy your clementines/mandarins by the crate, you got yourself ample supple of wood. Just need to take the create apart. It's the four walls that you'll be using. Need to then cut them down to size and punch holes for sewing.

Similar wooden crates were used in USSR and are used in Russia. Close to legit.
Recently I watched a movie about some little town of middle of nowhere Russia, where since the Nazi invasion they were making these type of crates, and after their woodworking factory is in ruins, they continue to make these crates.

Anyway, I'll try to get around to posting more stuff directly relating to labeling your kit. This is becoming especially important now that everyone is finally starting to really look uniform. So keeping your stuff from getting mixed up, we're all going to have to start labeling.

Here is some of my classic kit, where you can see the tags attached in a couple of ways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 am 
Ryadovoi

are these wooden toggles strictly Cold War era or would you find them on more modern kit as well? I was actually planning to mark my gear the Marine Corps way with a "marking tape" and ink pad set. If these toggles are more correct, I'll hold off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am 
Praporshik

Soviet bits of kit done with these wooden tags.
Russian bits of kit on rubbery fabric. Based on a real sample I found as close a match as I could find in a fabric store. For a dollar or a couple I got enough fabric to make many labels. I will post stuff here.

I'm sure I posted about this topic on the EW forum with examples of real ones and my own. I'll have to track it down and repost it here. Or make something new. Either way I'll be updating this thread with examples.

Right now I got more wood and fabric than I need for my personal use.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm 
Instruktor

Mr. Spank you did it a little bit wrong. It is right idea but size is around 50mm×30mm. They are all has to be a same size and shape. Threds going throu each holl individually. Usually use 2 or 3mm plywood.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 am 
Praporshik

They were supposed to be the same size. But amateur gets as amateur does :oops:
As far as how it's sewn on, I have not see a definitive way. Which is also an excuse for the above :banana:
That plywood can be brittle. I was doing this at Skar's place with his power tools. It was all very new.

We can make this into our next group hang out. It will be a crafts day. Cutting up the plywood. Drilling holes. If you bring your pouches, you can sew them on. Or save that as homework. But not at my house.

Anyway, here are photos of the first two real tags I physically came across. They were attached to two classic RD-54s that I got out of Russia. They were gray, but also of rubbery. The were sewed on all around the trim.
Both of them went to that embarrassment, former comrade Sergei.

The other tags also came attached to RD-54s I got. They came out of Ukraine. They were on green rubbery fabric. I think this is the norm in Russia because the tags I've seen in photos and movie were green. The looked like they were originally glued on, but the glue was crap, I guess, because it was also sewed on at the corners.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:40 am 
Praporshik

Here are some reference photos of labeled kits.
You can see where they are typically placed on the different pieces of kit.
As well as the different styles they were sewed onto those pieces of kit.

This is a more recent practice of labeling the razgruzka on the back.
The first two are from VDV at a CSTO exercise from a couple of years ago.
This one is from MorPeh Pacific Fleet exercise 2014
I've also seen the same thing on MorPeh or VDV during the Crimean situation in 2014. I thought I saved photos of it, but I can't find it at this moment.

Body armor seems to be done at the center, towards the top.
Also, you can get a peak of the helmet tag on the side.
Better angle of that.
The majority of the helmets that I saw with a tag were the modern 'k-pot' types with a cover. And usually center rear of the helmet, like seen here
I'm honestly not sure if this is done only during exercises or all the time. I definitely don't see it every time I see a covered k-pot.

Some different pieces of kit tagged.
From East Germany in 1981
From one of the Pre-Baltics in late 1980s or early 1990s
Not sure of when or where, but definitely in Europe. Interesting that some of them have 3-cell hand grenade pouches instead of the 2-cell kind. They might be BMP crew members.

Even with all of the velcro used on the new uniforms, the ruck still has a sewed on tag

On the left you have desantnik with his Flora VDV canteen/messkit pouch, and he has the tag attached to the strap below the flap (same as I have on mine)
A little interesting, is that his comrade on the right is wearing a shovel pouch from his Flora RD-54. Not sure what he's using it for...is he storing his canteen in it?
I didn't get to post all the examples I wanted to. So, more to come. Specifically about the styles.

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:44 am