It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: 'A Paratroopers Life'
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 pm 
Praporshik

You're in for a treat!
This is a two-part documentary about VDV dubbed in English!
This is a British sounding guy trying out VDV life. The Russian spoken parts are dubbed over very enthusiastically in English. They really try to make it sound more dramatic than what is actually spoken.

Part 1 - Bootcamp

Part 2 - Mountain Training

I believe this was filmed sometime during the Summer of 2013, and aired in the Winter of 2013. So it's fairly recent and relevant.

I think they were really being easy on this foreigner. He obviously got some special treatment. He is seen unshaved while everyone else is. He is allowed to chick-out on the tower. When everyone else was doing drills with live ammo, he was given blanks.

You can see now in Russia mandatory service is only one year, instead of two. This was done to do away with the bad deduvshina/hazing that was demoralizing Russian conscripts. With only a year of service, it is felt that it's not enough time for anyone to become a 'ded' and therefor no abuse of 'duhi' can occur. And I suppose that it makes it less unattractive to try to ditch service.

Even with their new digital flora uniforms, they still wear Soviet soldier belts during bootcamp. They still attach collar liners. They are also seen wearing their VDV-mess kit pouches. In one seen in their rec-room, it looks like one soldat has a Flora dump pouch on. I think...
While in bootcamp, everyone seems to have been issued completely digital flora kits. But I suspect that might have been because they were expecting a documentary to be filed. Or they are that up to date, since they are a Guards unit. But in part two you see some regular Flora mixed with digital.

88 style kepi are phased out, but cockades and collar tabs are still there. Still no velcro for using removable insignia. I think that is only on the newest uniforms being issued now. I saw boots of different treads. Use of 6Sh104 during the show-off portion for the crowd. Officers seem to wear whatever they want.

In part two, they do set up for a parallel ambush. I wish I could see more on that subject.
Don't be shy. Feel free to ask questions. Here, and on other videos.

Post subject: Re: 'A Paratroopers Life'
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:36 pm 
Ryadovoi

Great show! Now my mind is set: I will jump with a parachute once I return home. =)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm 
Instruktor

Believe me dedovschina steel exist. When we served two years it was split be 6 month. Now it split by 3 month. But one year of service it is nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:42 am 
Ryadovoi

Dedovshina exists in one form or another in every army of the world. From my observation in US army it is more of a verbal type of abuse and pranks that might lead to bad legal aftermath to both prankster and victim alike. But from what I heard in Russian army it used to be more physical and abusive. Boot camps are very same though. When I just joined 6 years ago, our drill sergeants did lots of "our of the schedule training" with included mass punishments, sleep deprivation, mocking of unfit soldiers and so forth. Obviously no one took us to build some general's dacha or do any non-army related work outside of the base.
During my first deployment to Middle East, our unit was trying to fight soldiers that formed into "clicks" aka dividing their peer in "cool group", "losers" and "loners". "Cool group" constantly tried to push their duties on others like cleaning up the work building, doing overnight guard duty and perimeter guard. After we had some change in leadership and some people left, I can say that currently in my unit there is no explicit dedovshina in any form.

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm