It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Coolness of KLMK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:00 pm 
Praporshik

The KLMK is one of my favorite uniforms. I think the pattern has more of a coolness factor than concealment ability. Although, it can be used for concealment, I just think its not that great. It is a single piece oversuit. It goes over your basic uniform when you are sent on a mission involving concealment. This was back when standard uniforms just came in brown/khaki color. Though, it is often seen as the only uniform worn by a soldier. That is the case when they are in hot climates. This uniform is considered the lightest uniform in the Russian army. The 'L' in name stands for Leta (Summer). The KLMK is a two color pattern originally of a green background and light gray patterns sometimes referred to as Sun Bunnies. Its often referred to as a digital pattern, even though it was not designed with computers or has anything to do with pixels. Just a misnomer by modern Westerners. It was also meant to be reversible with a slightly different pattern on the other side. This suite has been issued since the 1950s or 1960s. Originally issued to KGB agents and GRU agents operating behind enemy lines and to Frontier Guards. It was also issued to VDV.

To this day you can find troops wearing the KLMK or its descendants. There are still oversuits issued similar to it. There are also uniforms that are issued with a descendant of the pattern see on the KLMK, now referred to as Berezka. There are uniforms available in the pattern like the original KLMK and Berezka.

Since the oversuits were issued to the KGB and GRU the KLMK has an aura of coolness to it. VDV were even made a special two piece version that was a uniform. There are two Soviet films about VDV Rasvetchiki doing military force on force exercise in late 1970s and 1980s, which I think constituted as high action movie for its times. There was also a movie about Naval Infantry in the 1980s and they too wore the two piece uniform versions. Also cool action move for its time and origin. In the American films Soviets are seen wearing KLMK-like uniforms/suits, so even the Western perspective gives it some aura of mystic to it. In Red Dawn they are seen on the VDV when they make their initial landing, and I think by the Spetsnaz sent to hunt down the Wolverines in the woods. I think they were also used in Rambo when he was in Afghanistan.

Well, here are some of the pictures across the decades:

If you have additional cool KLMK photos (not of yourself) post them here. If you have any news about KLMK or Berezka post it here too. I hope this motivates anyone who doesn't already have a KLMK to get one. It will be perfect for Soviet era games. Or just Summer games when the Flora BDU is just so damn hot to be in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:09 pm 
Discharged

simply awesome kommisar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:09 pm 
Praporshik

Here are some more. Taken during Rubezh exercise in 2006. These guys are MorPeh of 77th Independent Moscow-Chernigov Order of Red Banner, Order of Lenin and Suvorov, 2nd class, Guards Marine Brigade (what a mouthful!). Thats why you see on their berets the old red flash instead of the modern eagles, because they are special, super special!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:24 pm 
Reservist

call me a ***** and a loser, but i dont like them. the hood and face mask atleast.

i dont think the woods around here are bright enough for it either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm 
Praporshik

Well since you asked nicely,
Bitchass Looser.

As far as active concealment, they work nice during the Summer time, as mentioned earlier, L stands for Summer. The 'sun bunnies' are the effect of light breaking through the foliage. So during Spring and Summer time, and sometimes even into mid-Fall this stuff does work. Also, there is room for improvisation as since its covered in loops to stick local vegetation into it for more concealment opportunities.

Also, it is far easier to acquire a KLMK for an 80s themed game than it is to get any other 80s uniform. And this happens to be what VDV actually would have worn. Just like when they invaded America.

Here are some more:

I used to have some cool videos of guys in KLMK, if I find it, I'll put the link here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm 
Discharged

Image Image
[img]http://pro.corbis.com/images/000237115-004.jpg?size=67&uid={502e587f-7950-4722-a420-80b35e742e78}[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:59 pm 
Praporshik

Segei, I don't think you can hot link from mp.net, thats probably why they aren't showing. All the pictures I posted I have on my photobucket. Well, most of them I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 pm 
Discharged

what happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:14 pm 
Praporshik

Remember tavarishi, this thread is for cool pictures of the real guys in KLMK. If you have pictures of yourself modeling, put it in the Runway thread, if you have it at a game, put it in the relevant picture thread for that game, if you have news about your stuff that just came in, put that in the Fresh From the Mail thread.

Here are some more cool pictures from Afghanistan (some of them might be wearing KZS-1)
You can seem AKMSs, RPK74s, AKS74s with RPK74 mags and field made lifchiki. Very interesting stuff.

Looks like there was a intermixing of KZS-1 and KLMKs in Afghanistan. Some guys converted their KLMKs into 2-piece versions, some had the issued 2-piece versions, and then there were the actual KZS-1s that also come in 2 pieces normally. You can usually tell its a KZS-1 when the contrast between the shapes and the base color is less. Higher contrast usually means KLMK. And if there are pockets, then its definitely a KLMK.

Here are some more recent KLMK sightings. Including the Georgia conflict.

Thats Vostok in a mix of KLMK and the Byrozka-Lazer style version of the Sun Bunnies pattern

Post subject: Re: Coolness of KLMK
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 am 
DOSAAF

This pattern original named "Silver leaf" - серебрянный лист.

http://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2012-03/ ... o00008.jpg

882-d a separate battalion, 810-th "Of a name of the 60th anniversary of the formation of the USSR" separate brigade of marine infantry the black sea naval fleet USSR.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:26 am 
DOSAAF

That is a wild photo! Very nice to see it work! All the A-Stan photos just show green patterns on tan backgrounds, lol. Very cool!

http://www.operationeastwind.com
"Not because it is easy..."
Like & Follow Op:EW on Facebook

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:43 am 
DOSAAF

Thank's. As for me, the "Silver leaf" especialy in KLMK is the best pattern for sunny day greenwood.

882-d a separate battalion, 810-th "Of a name of the 60th anniversary of the formation of the USSR" separate brigade of marine infantry the black sea naval fleet USSR.

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm