It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 pm
All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
You are a guest in the home of T.S.S.R.

You can only see what Moscow has deemed acceptable for you to see.

Soldaty and Friends of T.S.S.R. see more.

Post subject: Flora VDV style
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 pm 
Praporshik

Version 2 (2007) Flora uniform does not feature cargo pockets on the legs.
VDV tuck their blouses into their pants.
For a long time, it was understood that VDV would remove the lower pockets of their blouses to make it easier to tuck them in.
And those pockets would then be re-attached to the pants of the uniform so that they would have cargo pockets.

This project has been really delayed. I had wanted to do this since I got my 2nd set of Flora, 5 years ago.
One year ago I had actually gotten around to removing the lower pockets of the blouse before going to the last Op: Pine Plains.
Finally, and probably a year later exactly, I got around to finishing this project by attaching the cargo pockets to the pant legs. I was partially motivated because ElChulo and Schultz and Scar have real version 1 Flora uniforms that included the pants cargo pockets.

The process:

1 Button the pockets. The pocket and the flap are going to be transfered simultaneously.
2 Carefully cut the threads holding the pockets and flaps to the blouse. Pay attention to how it folds and how it is stitched together.
3 Align the pouches to the pants. The pants have a seam that goes along the side of the pants. Center the pouch. I don't remember exactly what the measured center was. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect, it won't explode. The cargo pockets on the version 1 were about one thumb length from the lower edge of the slant pockets. This is approximately 3" For some of you that might seem too high, but I think it was just fine and another distinction between Western and Russian kit.
4 Pin the pockets on. Do not start sewing yet! You need to flatten out the pants to make sure that the pockets are laying correctly in their positions. Then you need to pin them into place. This is to prevent you from going off course and sewing them on crooked.
[b]5[/u] Now you can start sewing. Make sure that you are sewing them the way they were sewed onto the blouse. The idea is that your cargo pocket opens up on the sides, like an accordion, so you have to sew the lower fold of the sides of the pocket, not the outer part of it. The flap gets two rows of stitching at the top, and the bottom of the cargo pocket gets two rows of stitching. The sides get a single row, but it would help to give them two rows instead.

The finished project.

They came in handy at Op: Reality Check 3. They were used for documents. It was convenient because my breast pockets were covered by the 6Sh92. They proved a quick and easy option for stowing and pulling out documents and cash to use at the event.

Post subject: Re: Flora VDV style
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 am 
Ryadovoi

Question about blousing your boots. I personally don't like the feel of the trouser leg stuff into my boots, so I use blousing bands on the outside. Is this an acceptable practice for a VDV impression? If not, tucking is fine. Just want some clarification.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Praporshik

I do not know what blousing bands are.

Practically all issued Soviet/Russian uniforms are meant to be bloused. They have stirrups that make sure that your pant stays inside your boot.

It's not just a stylistic feature. It is a practical feature. Not just for when jumping out of a plane or helicopter. It also keeps bugs and crap from getting into your pants and boots.

Adjust the stirrup to a comfortable height. Make sure it sits flat under the arch of your foot, and insert foot into boot. Simply make a fold of the excess pant fabric, then tie your boot.

I have never had an issue with this. Only on the few uniforms that use straps around the ankle instead of the stirrup. Those suck. Pretty sure that style is American design.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am 
Ryadovoi

Blousing bands are hook and latch elastic ropes that you close around your calf or the top of your boot. You then roll the cuff of your trousers under the band for a tight seal fit. Standard USMC stuff, just thought I'd ask.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
Instruktor

Flora VDV style

Attachments:
20131005_221415.jpg
20131005_221415.jpg [ 2.54 MiB | Viewed 2202 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
Instruktor

sorry. picture too big.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm 
Praporshik

I use photobucket.com to host my photos.
You can resize your photos there and share them across other sites.

Your blouse has a mix of Soviet patch and the latest 'птички.'

This thread is about those of us who have the first version of Flora uniform and those who modified them like some VDV have.

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 pm